TalkoftheToon

Welcome to Talk of the Toon, if you are a member then log in and get talking about the Toon, if your not then get signed up and join us!
Latest topics
» where is everyone
Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:08 pm by geordie696

» David Ginola hurt in ski accident
Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:00 am by 1892NUFF

» Cool Cisse felt no pressure
Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:44 am by Fruity

» Taylor in clear, Best out for weeks
Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:42 am by Fruity

» Did he or Didn't he?
Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:39 am by Fruity

» Nice to see you back up running
Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:38 am by Fruity

» Netherlands keeper Tim Krul happy at Newcastle United
Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:43 am by 1892NUFF

» Newcastle push to get pair out of Africa
Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:26 pm by 1892NUFF

» Team news: Coloccini could miss Brighton trip
Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:24 pm by 1892NUFF

» Pardew ponders delving into Championship pool
Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:07 am by 1892NUFF

I forgot my password

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Contracts.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Contracts.

Post  wolfie on Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:57 am

Do you think we as a club are playing it clever as regards players contracts, young and older players?
I've been sat thinking about it and to me it makes perfect sense in the way we are handling basically most of the contract situations which arise at the club.

Look at the young players we have managed to tie down to 5 year contracts and then look at how we seem to take a stance on the contracts of players that are getting close to the 30 mark, for example Nolan and Barton e.t.c.

Now don't get me wrong here, I would dearly love Nolan and Barton to continue playing here and I would hope they will accept how the club deal with contract situations as they arise.

Naturally, giving a youngster a 5 year deal, does not guarantee that the player will honour it or that even the club will be looking that far ahead with the player. But what it does guarantee is, that any player that gets his head turned by a bigger club is stuck on a long contract unless that club offers top dollar, which gives the club strength in negotiations.

Naturally as a player gets older, then obviously his price tag drops significantly and Newcastle United don't seem to be lagging behind in recognising the fact that offering a player that's closely approaching 30 a 5 year deal 'can' put that player into the comfort zone on big wages and knowing that no matter what, he is guaranteed that wage for the next 5 years, regardless of whether he plays up to scratch or not.

How many times have we see that in the past?

In offering older players a contract based on their age of say 2 or 3 years, it can keep that player focussed and on top of his game, if the club have also said " there is an extension to be added after the initial 2/3 years if you do the business".

I think it's common sense to do it now and in the modern game where money is God, I think Newcastle are thinking cleverly.

What's your take on it?
wolfie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Contracts.

Post  Fruity on Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:36 am

I agree with you wolfie that it makes sense to give the youngsters long contracts and the oldies shorter ones, seems to make the most sense to me
Fruity

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Monstro on Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:56 am

Ok, scarey but here's a Wolfie post I'm in agreement with.

Tie the youngsters down to a five year deal, if any top four club comes in it's gonna cost them (Carroll?) and that makes sound business sense, as for the older ones I'm not so sure that the club's stance is correct. Barton, ok, a year left and although last year was good the previous weren't so cool, loads of injuries and not that many consistent performances but as for Nolan we're being bloody stuuuuuuupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The guy is an excellent captain and a proven goal scorer especially in the games that matter, in the changing room and on the pitch the guy proves his worth and we really should be tying him down for at least three years.

Monstro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wolfie on Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:36 pm

Monstro wrote:Ok, scarey but here's a Wolfie post I'm in agreement with.

Tie the youngsters down to a five year deal, if any top four club comes in it's gonna cost them (Carroll?) and that makes sound business sense, as for the older ones I'm not so sure that the club's stance is correct. Barton, ok, a year left and although last year was good the previous weren't so cool, loads of injuries and not that many consistent performances but as for Nolan we're being bloody stuuuuuuupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The guy is an excellent captain and a proven goal scorer especially in the games that matter, in the changing room and on the pitch the guy proves his worth and we really should be tying him down for at least three years.
I understand where you coming from with Nolan Monstro but the thing is, Nolan still has 2 years left on his contract and if he performs to the same level this season coming(assuming he stays) then I'm fairly sure the club will offer him a new deal, maybe 3 years or something.
I don't expect the club to get it right 100% of the time and I would hazard a guess that mistakes will be made with certain players contract lengths but that applies to every club I would say.
As long as you get the main of it in order, then you can forage forward.
Realistically, I don't know what deal or terms Nolan is asking for, other than what's been speculated so I wouldn't like to hazard a real guess as to what's went on but I would love the lad to stay and work out some kind of deal.
wolfie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top