TalkoftheToon

Welcome to Talk of the Toon, if you are a member then log in and get talking about the Toon, if your not then get signed up and join us!
Latest topics
» where is everyone
Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:08 pm by geordie696

» David Ginola hurt in ski accident
Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:00 am by 1892NUFF

» Cool Cisse felt no pressure
Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:44 am by Fruity

» Taylor in clear, Best out for weeks
Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:42 am by Fruity

» Did he or Didn't he?
Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:39 am by Fruity

» Nice to see you back up running
Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:38 am by Fruity

» Netherlands keeper Tim Krul happy at Newcastle United
Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:43 am by 1892NUFF

» Newcastle push to get pair out of Africa
Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:26 pm by 1892NUFF

» Team news: Coloccini could miss Brighton trip
Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:24 pm by 1892NUFF

» Pardew ponders delving into Championship pool
Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:07 am by 1892NUFF

I forgot my password

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Ashley. Greedy or Shrewd.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ashley. Greedy or Shrewd.

Post  wolfie on Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:27 am

I know I might not be popular for hoying this one out but I would like your honest unbiased thoughts on how you view Ashley "now" regarding money matters involving everything to do with the club.

My personal opinion of him and it has been for long enough is, that he is one shrewd man and is putting this clubs house in order like we haven't really seen before, in terms of holding our own I mean.

I know many fans have been slating him for a lot of things and saying he won't spend money and such but I honestly believe he's not averse to spending what's needed, I just think he's not stupid enough to pay out ridiculous money on players that will have little return value compared to what's paid out.

What we have to remember is, he's no Abramovich or a Sheikh Monsour and so can't just write off hundreds of millions of transfer fees like a hobbyist, like those two are.

Take a look at Torres..50 million and then Carroll 35 million e.t.c just two players who's value will not increase and in-fact will dramatically decrease "in my opinion".

Naturally I'm not naive enough to accept that spending no money or pathetic amounts of money will get us anywhere fast but if you look at what Ashley has actually got on board in terms of a scouting network and a manager in Alan Pardew, who is low profile and low maintenance in terms of expectations but who will invariably do an excellent job in the time he has on his contract as well as Carr is doing with the scouting.

What we are getting, if you look at it with a positive view is, players like Ben Arfa, Tiote, Cabaye, Gosling e.t.c and probably quite a few more astute signing before the season is under way.

Ok, here's where it doesn't quite look like we are getting the real deal with some fans.

Some fans who view Ashley with hatred, will not see too far past their own noses in terms of signings if they're under say 10 million and will slate Ashley for being "greedy" and only after taking money from the club.

What they won't allow themselves to see is, that these players who we have got in for either free (Gosling) or paid small change for, are, if you had to go and buy them off the cuff right now, under contract at their respective clubs, would be commanding transfer fees into the double figures of millions.

The beauty of the way Ashley is running this ship for me is, he seems to be able to see a lot further than his own nose, now that he's had the benefit of hindsight and the benefit of making I'll advised judgements.

So in effect " and this is just my opinion mind", we are still buying those 10/15 million pound players but not having to pay that amount to get them as i said earlier, due to good scouting and the clever way we seem to be able to spot loopholes in players contracts.

It's all well and good attempting to appease fans for a short term fix but it leaves long, long term problems from top to bottom to achieve a moment of glory and we have all seen the aftermath of all that on more than one occasion.

Anyway, you all know my thoughts on it and bear in mind, it is just my own personal opinion.

So what are your thoughts on how we are coping "now" and is your mindset on him being GREEDY or SHREWD?
wolfie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashley. Greedy or Shrewd.

Post  Fruity on Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:34 am

from what we are seeing this transfer, he seems to be willing to pay out for new signings. but for me the proof will be in the end result
Fruity

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wolfie on Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:05 am

Fruity wrote:from what we are seeing this transfer, he seems to be willing to pay out for new signings. but for me the proof will be in the end result
You are right but it's looking pretty good so far.
I think if we manage to bring in a few more players and in doing so, also manage to coax out want away top players into re-signing their contracts, we will be definitely sending out a massive statement of intent as to where we are headed.
wolfie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top