TalkoftheToon
World Cup - FIFA opens Blatter probe Toon-1
Welcome to Talk of the Toon, if you are a member then log in and get talking about the Toon, if your not then get signed up and join us!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TalkoftheToon
World Cup - FIFA opens Blatter probe Toon-1
Welcome to Talk of the Toon, if you are a member then log in and get talking about the Toon, if your not then get signed up and join us!
TalkoftheToon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» where is everyone
World Cup - FIFA opens Blatter probe EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 1:08 pm by geordie696

» David Ginola hurt in ski accident
World Cup - FIFA opens Blatter probe EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 5:00 am by 1892NUFF

» Cool Cisse felt no pressure
World Cup - FIFA opens Blatter probe EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 5:44 am by Fruity

» Taylor in clear, Best out for weeks
World Cup - FIFA opens Blatter probe EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 5:42 am by Fruity

» Did he or Didn't he?
World Cup - FIFA opens Blatter probe EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 5:39 am by Fruity

» Nice to see you back up running
World Cup - FIFA opens Blatter probe EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 5:38 am by Fruity

» Netherlands keeper Tim Krul happy at Newcastle United
World Cup - FIFA opens Blatter probe EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 12:43 am by 1892NUFF

» Newcastle push to get pair out of Africa
World Cup - FIFA opens Blatter probe EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 8:26 pm by 1892NUFF

» Team news: Coloccini could miss Brighton trip
World Cup - FIFA opens Blatter probe EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 8:24 pm by 1892NUFF

» Pardew ponders delving into Championship pool
World Cup - FIFA opens Blatter probe EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 6:07 am by 1892NUFF

I forgot my password

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

World Cup - FIFA opens Blatter probe

4 posters

Go down

World Cup - FIFA opens Blatter probe Empty World Cup - FIFA opens Blatter probe

Post  1892NUFF Sat May 28, 2011 9:10 am

World Cup - FIFA opens Blatter probe 98c76b4c65021fbd878bb981c737f15e

FIFA president Sepp Blatter will face an ethics investigation alongside his election rival Mohamed bin Hammam after football's governing body widened its inquiry into bribes-for-votes allegations.

In a move that sent shockwaves around the sporting world, FIFA said it was calling Blatter to appear at an ethics hearing on Sunday, three days before the 75-year-old Swiss stands against challenger Bin Hammam in the election for the most powerful job in football.

Bin Hammam will also face the hearing at FIFA house, along with CONCACAF president Jack Warner and two Caribbean officials, and the outcome may determine whether the June 1 election can go ahead as planned.

"I cannot comment on the proceedings that have been opened against me today," Blatter, who has been FIFA president since 1998 and is standing for a fourth term, said in a brief statement.

"The facts will speak for themselves," added the Swiss.

FIFA has been under pressure to clean up its act and become more transparent after two executive committee members were suspended last year after allegedly offering to sell their votes in the 2018 and 2022 World Cup hosting contest to undercover newspaper reporters.

However, few observers could have expected anything as dramatic as this week's events.

"The FIFA presidential election campaign has descended into a farce," Britain's sport minister Hugh Robertson said in a statement. "With both of the candidates having allegations of corruption aimed at them the election should be suspended."

The English FA, angry over its failed bid for the 2018 World Cup, had already announced it would abstain from voting for either candidate.

However, Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin, whose country will host the 2018 World Cup, backed Blatter.

"To accuse Blatter of corruption is complete rubbish," Putin told reporters. "If I was voting (in the FIFA election) I would vote for Blatter."

The case was opened on Wednesday when CONCACAF secretary general Chuck Blazer, who like Warner and Bin Hammam is a member of FIFA's executive committee, reported a possible case of bribery in the election campaign.

Asian Football Confederation president Bin Hammam, 62, has denied any wrongdoing in the matter, which concerns a meeting attended by the Qatari and Warner, who is a government minister in Trinidad & Tobago, on May 10-11.

According to FIFA's statement on Friday, ethics proceedings were opened against Blatter at Bin Hamman's request because the FIFA president may have known about cash payments to delegates at the meeting.

CONCACAF includes 35 of the 208 national associations which make up the FIFA Congress and, alongside Asia, is the only confederation which has not decided who it will back.

Europe, South America, Africa and Oceania have all decided to support Blatter.

Bin Hammam admitted he had paid the expenses of the delegates but said he had done nothing wrong and was victim of a conspiracy.

"It is quite obvious that, following previous failed attempts, this is part of a final effort to prevent Mr. Bin Hammam from running for the FIFA presidency," he said.

"Nobody has ever tried to hide the fact that Mr. Bin Hammam paid for the delegates' travel and accommodation expenses and covered the meeting's administrative costs," said the statement, referring to the CFU meeting.

"At this congress, Mr. Bin Hammam presented his programme, which included proposals to give more say, more pay, more support and more responsibility to the national associations.

The presidential election, in which Blatter and Bin Hammam are the only candidates, is scheduled to take place on June 1 at the annual FIFA Congress in Zurich.

FIFA would not comment on the potential consequences of the ethics committee hearing, to be headed by Namibia's Petrus Damaseb.

However, if a ban was handed to one or both of the candidates it would make it impossible to hold the election on June
1892NUFF
1892NUFF

http://www.talk-of-the-toon.com

Back to top Go down

World Cup - FIFA opens Blatter probe Empty Re: World Cup - FIFA opens Blatter probe

Post  arfa the mag Sat May 28, 2011 9:35 am

i was going to post about this they are all corrupt its not before time it came out we all new but fifa tried to hide it.
arfa the mag
arfa the mag

Back to top Go down

World Cup - FIFA opens Blatter probe Empty Re: World Cup - FIFA opens Blatter probe

Post  1892NUFF Sat May 28, 2011 9:37 am

arfa the mag wrote:i was going to post about this they are all corrupt its not before time it came out we all new but fifa tried to hide it.
should just sack the lot of them and bring in some new people
1892NUFF
1892NUFF

http://www.talk-of-the-toon.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Fruity Sat May 28, 2011 9:42 am

about bloody time, is all i will say
Fruity
Fruity

Back to top Go down

Post  wolfie Sat May 28, 2011 9:40 pm

this sepp blatter as we have all known for long enough is corrupt as hell, not only him, but the people that deal with him...

the only reason hes getting away with it, is because its like some kind of mafia type carry on....not literally mind....but i think you get my drift...

the problem as we know is.....too much money is getting passed around ...under the table and too many people are gaining a fat cat living on the back of this corruption...

until we actually get some people with balls to PROPERLY deal with him....the sooner we MIGHT get a fairer run board of FIFA ...

I wont hold me breath mind yea lol
wolfie
wolfie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum